- Q?Why do I need a “building” permit?
Both the contractor and the homeowner benefit from having a building permit so you should insist on having one. You will rest easy knowing that your renovations conform to local as well as Ontario building codes. Your local building inspector will approve each stage and permit your contractor to move on to the next. The cost for permits is minimal and any good contractor is used to dealing with the building inspectors on a regular basis.
- Q?Is GTA Solid Contracting licensed and insured?
GTA Solid Contracting and all the trades we work with are licensed and insured where required. We have a WSIB (Workplace Safety Insurance Board) license and private liability insurance.
- Q?Should I have a contract?
When hiring a contractor for any job, it is very essential to have a written contract agreement. This prevents any complications and misunderstandings from occurring whether legally or otherwise.
- Q?How long does a renovations project take?
The length of each project depends on the scope of work. A kitchen renovation typically takes 4- 6 weeks, bathroom renovation could take 5-8 days , sanding of your floors 2-3 days, main floor renovation 8 to 12 weeks, and entire home interior 4 to 6 months. Your GTA Solid Contracting representative will provide a planned work schedule and we take pride in maintaining all schedules to ensure that we meet all deadlines.
- Q?What should be in my contract?
Here are some important points that should be included in your contract:
- Name, address and phone numbers of the contractor and client
- Complete description of the work agreed upon including drawings and attachments if necessary
- ‘HST’ number
- Contractor’s warranty
- Contractor’s business license (where required by the municipality)
- Start and finish dates
- A detailed payment schedule based on the progress of the project.